Whether you are taking your car with you on vacation or you are leaving it at home, a quick call to your Insurance Broker should be on your list of things to do to prepare for your upcoming vacation.

If you take your car with you:

  • Your auto insurance coverages only apply in Canada and the U.S.
  • Companies have restrictions that vehicles can not be out of province more than 6 months at a time. Insurance companies believe that if you are in a different province/ country for more than 6 months you should register the car in that province/ country.  
  • We suggest that you have $2,000,000 liability. In the past, we have witnessed countless cases where the client is being sued for more than $1,000,000, especially while travelling in the U.S.

If you are leaving your car at home:

If you are preparing for a long trip away, you may want to suspend your coverage. In order to do so, you will have to sign an OPCF 16. This clause keeps fire, theft and Accident Benefits on the vehicle. While your coverage is suspended, you will save some money.

If you are renting a car in Canada or the United States, you should call us to ensure you have OPCF 27 – liability on non-owned vehicles. Only the named insured, the spouse and the listed drivers are covered under OPCF 27. There is a maximum limit for physical damage to the vehicle under this coverage. You will need to contact your Insurance Broker to see what the limit is as each company has different limits.

There is insurance available through each rental car agency. If you decide to purchase this insurance, it is important that you are fully aware what is covered and what isn’t. The rental car coverage can cost you hundreds of dollars for only a few days of coverage while your auto insurance policy protects you for a lot less money.

If you are planning an upcoming vacation, with or without your vehicle, contact your local Insurance Broker to discuss how we can help you be prepared with the right coverage.